Athletics Mission Statement
- We offer a fun environment that encourages physical growth and character development for learners participating in athletics.
- We provide a combined knowledge of various specialized areas within athletics.
- We create opportunities for learners to learn and master skills.
- We encourage competitive excellence.
- We put the learner first in the execution of our duties.
- We strive to grow within the knowledge of and passion for athletics together with our learners.
The Kenridge athletics program strives to create a lifelong passion for sport amongst learners by providing an educational experience through which learners are able to maintain a balance between intellectual pursuits, social interaction and healthy competition that complements the development of the whole individual.
Athletics squad selection process:
Mini Athletics (U/7 – U/9):
Events: Sprints (60m and 80m) and relays
Grade 1 (U/7): Learners are invited to sign up for athletics via the menu form in Term 1. During practices these athletes will have informal run-out sessions in order for us to identify the top 6 runners in the grade. The top 6 athletes will be invited to attend the team practices twice a week.
Grade 2 (U/8) and Grade 3 (U/9): Learners will be invited to join the team practices based on Inter House Athletics results which would have been recorded in Term 4 of the previous year.
Competition meetings are attended by these athletes.
Grade 4 – 7 (U/10 – U/13):
Events: Sprints, Long Jump, High Jump, Hurdles, Middle Distance, Shot Put and Relays
Learners will be invited to join the team practices based on Inter House athletics results which would have been recorded in Term 4 of the previous year.
Competition meetings are attended by these athletes. At least one practice per week must be attended by club athletes in order to be eligible for the KPS team. All athletes who intend to compete for WP colours are required to represent the school at local competitions.
Any learner at Kenridge who is interested in improving his / her fitness abilities is invited to attend these practices.